Pin It button on image hover

Friday, October 4, 2013

Pinning Snack

While prowling Pinterest for great blog ideas I was scrolling past a plethera of food pins. Yes, I had already eaten dinner. If you consider dinner a slice of frozen pizza with the pepperoni picked off.

Feeling the twinge of hunger set in, I got side tracked and started searching for snacks. Have you ever searched 'snacks' on Pinterest? If not, be warned. I could have spent days looking at snacks on Pinterest, but for the sake of my hunger I didn't.

I scrolled on and kept my options open but based on my limited resources of ingredients I was struggling to find a recipe that suited my needs. So I kept scrolling. Until I hit the jackpot. The snack of all snacks! Crunchy Roasted Garbanzo Beans. Okay, so I may not have hit the snack jackpot but it's pretty close. 

It seemed easy enough. Three ingredients, a cookie sheet, and 30 minutes of my time. I wasn't too sure about eating straight garbanzo beans, but as my stomach started to growl I became quite keen on the idea.   





 Supplies:
- Paper towels
- Strainer
- Cookie sheet

Ingredients
- Garbanzo beans
- Garlic Salt (or your preference of seasoning)
- Olive oil

Once you've gathered up all these goodies start that oven up and pre heat it to 400 degrees.


First, crack open that can of garbanzo beans and get the party started. Drain, strain, and rinse the beans. This step is a breeze.  



Second, on a cookie sheet lined in paper towels dry the beans off. Gently roll the beans between two paper towels to get the skin off. (You can see the skin peeling off in this picture.) 
This step is entertaining. I had no idea that garbanzo beans had skin, my mind blown. 



 Next put all the beans in a bowl, drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over them, then add your seasoning and stir. 
This step allows so much creativity. What seasons to use? I got a little wild and added pepper in addition to the garlic salt. (Yup, that's my version of wild. Who have I become?) 


After evenly coating each bean with olive oil and seasoning place them on a non stick cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and prepare for your tasty treat. 
This step could not be any easier. If you're like me and dread cleaning dirty pans line your cookie sheet with tin foil. 


The recipe says to cook the beans for 30 to 40 minutes. I checked mine right at 30 minutes and they were a little on the brown side. (See the burnt ones? Extra crunchy, not so tasty.) My advice would be to check them at 20 minutes and asses the situation. You're aiming for a golden brown, not black. 

These were a tasty, crunchy snack but I wasn't too impressed. They're healthy and were easy to make so that's a bonus, but they weren't very filling. Seeing as how this pin was a bit of a flop I'll have to go back to Pinterest-land and do some more 'research'.


No comments:

Post a Comment